Sunday, September 13, 2015

What is it worth to you?

Maya Angelou Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but has not solved one yet
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pictoquotes/16253287305
I've been ignoring this blog for a while for several reasons. One, and the most simple one, is work. I'm getting used to this schedule and physical demand and many other things. There are some really cool people there and a few others that are less than stellar, but that's par for the course at any job.

Another reason is that I've not really had a lot of nice things to say and it's usually best to remain silent during those times. When you are bombarded with bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and other negative situations, it's hard to remain positive.

But I feel a lot more calm today and want to ask you all a question. You don't have to answer me specifically, but I'd like you to think about it. Chances are, though, if you read my blog at all, you're one of the ones who don't qualify for the question.

What is your hate worth to you? Is it worth losing good friends? Is it worth losing your child/children? What about your grandchildren? Is it worth being filled with cortisol and spike your blood sugars? Is it worth the constant negative attitude toward the world?

I ask this for a few personal concerns that I've had over the last several months, but let me focus first on the public ones. There are politicians and media outlets that seems to thrive on hate-mongering. They fuel that "us against them" attitude and do their best to stir up more animosity. To what end? Why are so many people listening to those who only strive to make us hate each other? Why do they hang onto the words of someone who shouts about welfare and immigrants and many other issues when what we need to focus on is that we're all in this together and this whole country (and planet, really) is in dire need of compassion and intelligence.

And now the personal stuff -

I have a dear friend who is slowly building up to telling their family about changes in their life. The family is likely to stop talking to them and will probably disown my friend. Of course, I still have the hope that, if the parents watched their child grow to adulthood, that these parents will still continue loving this person. Is a person's hatred over a different lifestyle worth losing their child and all that the future holds?

Another concern is for my future grandchildren. My daughter is with a young man who treats her with respect, makes her laugh, doesn't let her put herself down, and much more. Even Anthony likes this young man and he's a hard person to please. Do I give one iota of thought to the color of this young man's skin? Nope. Well, I take it back, I've given some thought to wondering if my herbal salve would help his scrapes and such heal in a way that he won't have such visible scars since he seems to scar so easily. That's about it. But I know of at least one family member who is against that relationship. Every chance they get, they have something passively negative to say. Until recently these comments were mere hints, but one statement about not wanting this young man to be the father of my grandchildren made me stop in my tracks. I didn't know what to say then and I don't know what to say now. But I can't help wonder: Is a person's hatred over someone's skin color worth losing the family members involved?

When I hear people say things like, "What is this world coming to?" I know that many of them are thinking about some of the changes that have recently come about regarding marriage equality, healthcare reform, and other things along these lines. What I think when I hear that question, though, is of the hatred of one person toward a group of people, or an idea, or even scientific fact. If we all become separatists and so filled with fear that every "them" is against us, then truly, What is this world coming to?

Back to my original question - What is your hate worth to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment