Friday, October 31, 2014

Elements #29

Start focusing on the possibility of positive outcomes. The mind must believe it CAN do something before it is capable of actually doing it. The way to overcome negative thoughts and destructive emotions is to develop opposing, positive emotions that are stronger and more powerful. Listen to your self-talk and replace negative thoughts with positive ones. Regardless of how a situation seems, focus on what you DO WANT to happen, and then take the next positive step forward. No, you can't control everything that happens to you, but you can control how you react to things. Everyone's life has positive and negative aspects - whether or not you're happy and successful in the long run depends greatly on which aspects you focus on.
Now we come to a close of a chapter. I am glad that I got to through all of these prompts over the last few months, especially since I have a tendency to start things and not finish them. I wasn't always like that, but the last decade is filled with projects started and not finished. Granted, there are plenty of craft projects that were completed, but little things like a-photo-a-day or a blog post each day... these things fell by the wayside quite frequently.

But let's take a moment and think about this final prompt. The possibility of a positive outcome. I need this thought right now. With all the things that I have planned and the road I've chosen, I need to focus on the possibility of good things. My mind still has an inclination to think about all the "bad" things that can happen. I know that it's because I had so many times when I thought things were going well, only to have them fall apart instead. But I'm overcoming that and I'm looking at my future with hope and trust in myself.

At times, I catch myself thinking about the negative outcomes that could happen, but I've gotten better at stopping myself and replacing those images with wonderful things. Instead of allowing the fear come in, I remind myself of how many people I will get to meet and how many places I will get to visit. I made myself laugh the other day when it dawned on me that I will get to see places I've always wanted to see! The sun rising over the Atlantic and setting over the Pacific, a summer storm in the Sonoran Desert, a spring afternoon in the Rocky Mountains... all of these will be available to me. And that is what I will remind myself of when the darker thoughts try to crowd in.

On this Samhain/Halloween, I wish you all the brightest and most positive blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment