Monday, October 13, 2014

Elements #26

Start taking full accountability for your own life. Own your choices and mistakes and be willing to take the necessary steps to improve upon them. Either you take accountability for your life or someone else will. And when they do, you'll become a slave to their ideas and dreams instead of a pioneer of your own. You are the only one who can directly control the outcome of your life. And no, it won't always be easy. Every person has a stack of obstacles in front of them. But you must take accountability for your situation and overcome these obstacles. Choosing not to is choosing a lifetime of mere existence.

Accountability. Control. Responsibility. All these things fit with this week's prompt. Taking responsibility for your life is of the utmost importance, I think. If you aren't in control of your life, then you don't have the freedom to make the choices that will be best for you. At the same time, you also have to make sure that you are doing your best, no matter the situation.

I know how difficult this can be sometimes. A lot of times we have a tendency to bemoan our situation and lay the blame on the job we have, the place we live, the people in our lives, and other things that are simply part of the situation, but not the cause of it. I know that I've done that. I didn't like the place I was living or many of the people around me. I didn't like a job I was in. It was easy to point out the things that made my life less than I wanted it to be. And yet, I had put myself in that place. I made the choice to move across the country and living in a place where I knew almost no one. I made the choice to stay there in the hopes that things would get better. I even made the choice to move again knowing that there was a chance that it wouldn't be "right" in a new place.

Sometimes, and I think this is important, there isn't a blame to be laid anywhere. Sometimes we are just in a situation because that's where we are. Sometimes we have to take a job we might not like simply because the job is needed. Sometimes we are continuing to drive an old car because this is what is available to us. But even with these thoughts, I recognize how important it is to live with the responsibility of the actions we take.

I wish I had some wonderful words of wisdom to share about this, but all I think about is that I have made recent decisions that will take a long time to culminate, but I'm ready for it all. I'm ready for the hard work and the possible setbacks. And, while I know that it won't be easy, I also know that I was the one who made the choice and am the one who will live with it all.

Be well, friends. Carry an extra smile in your pocket for the days that are really hard to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment