Sunday, October 19, 2014

Elements #22

Start noticing the beauty of small moments. Instead of waiting for the big things to happen - marriage, kids, promotion, winning the lottery - find happiness in the small things that happen every day. Little things like having a quiet cup of coffee in the early morning, or the delicious smell of a homemade meal, or the pleasure of sharing something you enjoy with someone else, or holding hands with your partner. Noticing these small pleasures on a daily basis makes a big difference with the quality of your life.
Generally speaking, I think I do this already. Many times I sit on the front step and listen to the birds or just watch the clouds go by. I have moments when I sip my coffee and feel gratitude that I am able to do so in the comfort of my own home. I also think about the times when Brianna & I are preparing meals or whatnot and how special that feels to me. Even the phone calls with Anthony are treasured bits of time to me.

I think that, when I was younger, I didn't catch all of those small moments, but that's the nature of younger people, too. Even so, I can still remember many times when I sat with a child sleeping on my chest, or pausing for a moment before going to bed just to listen to the sounds of the kids sleeping, or even taking a deep breath while driving home from work and feeling gratitude that I had a good job to help provide for my family.

There are days when it's not as easy to enjoy the small moments, especially when there are bills to pay and the job is stressful and the kids are down with another cold. When these times come, acknowledge the frustration, since to do otherwise would cause more stress later, then try to find one thing that will make you smile. Whether it's a glance out the window at the changing leaves, or a sip of your coffee, or even just a few minutes of relaxing, take the time to remember how important and special those little moments are.

No comments:

Post a Comment