Sunday, September 28, 2014

Elements #14

Start giving new people you meet a chance. It sounds harsh, but you cannot keep every friend you've ever made. People and priorities change. As some relationships fade others will grow. Appreciate the possibility  of new relationships as you naturally let go of old ones that no longer work. Trust your judgment. Embrace new relationships, knowing that you are entering into unfamiliar territory. Be ready to learn, be ready for a challenge, and be ready to meet someone that might just change your life forever.

I took some time to think about this one over the weekend as I pampered myself with teas, chest rub, and knitting. Although I don't normally think about how new people come into my life, I do often think about how they leave. During the past year, there are a few people who are no longer in the same level of relationship that they once were. One person I made a clear choice to exclude them from my future. It was far from painless, but it was necessary to my own well-being and possibly theirs, too. Another person seems to have drifted out of my life on their own and are now only on the fringes. There are a few people who are not a daily part of my life, but I know that each time we contact each other, the relationship is just as strong as it was before.

But new people... I do like to meet new people and I enjoy spending time with them. Lately, and I know this might sound like an excuse, my health has prevented me from spending a lot of time with them. A birthday party this weekend, hiking outings, workshops... all of these have been set aside as I deal with a common cold, or pneumonia & its subsequent recovery, and issues with my heart. And, while I remind myself that my health is of the utmost importance, there is a part of me that gets tired of staying home and napping because I'm so tired, or sitting down to rest because I can't catch my breath and my heart is pounding hard enough to jump out of my ribs.

The prompt... I think it's important for us to let new people into our lives. I believe that the new people can give us insight and open our minds to new thoughts. I believe that sometimes the new person needs us in a way that we might not understand. And, even though it might be hard to understand the ending of relationships, we should still allow the new ones the same openness and hope that we would if we'd never felt the sting of a breakup. Yes, I know that sounds like it's easy to say, but it really wasn't. I feel the pain of ended relationships just as acutely as anyone else, but I'm determined not to shut out the people who may come into my life afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment