Friday, September 19, 2014

Elements #13

Start entering new relationships for the right reasons. Enter new relationships with dependable, honest people who reflect the person you are and the person you want to be. Choose friends you are proud to know, people you admire, who show you love and respect - people who reciprocate your kindness and commitment. And pay attention to what people do, because a person's actions are much more important than their words or how others represent them.
For a very long time I've hesitated about entering any kind of new relationship. I did meet some fabulous people here, but I didn't allow it to develop into a full-blown friendship. I have been thinking about the reason behind that and I believe it's simply because I was not ready. I needed (and still do) time to heal from some very old wounds. I needed space to grieve and accept the pain I'd been through, and to come to terms with it.

In the intimate relationship department... well, I don't know when I'll be ready to enter a new relationship on that level. There are still many issues that I've been dealing with and many tears that are still drying.

All the same, I can feel the strength in me growing, I can feel that aliveness waking up. And so, the thought of new friends has been increasing. I've been talking more with my neighbors, entertaining the thoughts of spending time with some of the other people I've met here, and even given thought to accepting an invitation to go for a scenic ride. I know that it will take a little bit more time before I'm completely ready to jump in with both feet, but I think it will happen.

Let's think about the prompt for this entry for a moment. What are the "right" reasons for entering a relationship? I am sure that there are many answers to that, but I believe that we need to seek out our own moral compass for this one. Is it for the companionable nature of another human? Is it to share an interest in books or movies? Is it a chemical spark between you? Whatever the reason you choose, if it's not for a selfish or harmful reason, I truly think it's going to be the "right" reason.

I hope you all have a wonderful day filled with smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment