Friday, September 12, 2014

Elements #1

Start spending time with the right people. These are the people you enjoy, who love and appreciate you, and who encourage you to improve in healthy and exciting ways. They are the ones who make you feel more alive, and not only embrace who you are now, but also embrace and embody who you want to be, unconditionally.

I've thought about this one for a while. I know that there are people out there who love me, and the ones who care about me unconditionally are far away. Even so, I know that they are there and the rest of this doesn't apply to them.

Far too often we end up being around people because they are who we "should" be around. Family members, spouses, friends. Or we stick around because we are familiar with them. This isn't always the best way to be. If you are in a situation that prevents you from growing to your full potential, then it's really time to look at why you're keeping yourself small.

I did stay in a relationship for a very long time where the other person didn't truly accept me. And I tried to make things better. It ended up hurting us both in ways that are hard to describe. For myself, because I am uncomfortable with the levels I went to to keep the relationship viable, for him, because I don't know what he went through.

I did the same in a friendship. I stayed and kept trying, but there was no reciprocation and I began to feel more and more alone. In the end, we drifted apart and now she's living her life in a way I can never accept.

So... when you find a friend or a lover who is accepting of who you are, on all levels, cherish them.

I know this one isn't my usual format, but I struggled with keeping this civil and slightly positive. It's not a post that I'm particularly proud of, but I did promise to do these each week.

No comments:

Post a Comment