Thursday, August 07, 2014

Vanity? No.

As some of you know, I have had rosacea for several years. Of course, at first I didn't know what it was, I just assumed that I was breaking out because of stress and diet. However, even with drastic changes to my makeup, water consumption, and food intake (removed dairy, grains, meats, and a whole slew of things, just not all at the same time) in a systematic way, nothing changed. After a while my face looked like I was having an allergic reaction to something pretty big. So, on the advice of a friend, I began using a product called Lumière de Vie Illuminating Fading Fluid by Motives (if you're interested, I can tell you how to get it, but this isn't an attempt to sell it, please read on). I was more than a little happy that it seemed to be working and, after a couple months of using it consistently, my face had cleared up significantly.

Now, what you might not know is that there is no cure for rosacea. It progresses over time and gets worse over the years. Unfortunately, it can also cause some serious issues with your vision, thickening of the skin, rhinophyma, and more. So, it's not just a vanity issue for many people who have it.

But I couldn't keep paying that hefty price for the Lumière product and, after I took the picture you see above, I had to stop buying it. As I expected, the redness came back and I thought that I'd have to seek medical treatment in the hopes that I'd be able to get the insurance to cover the cost of whatever they prescribed. At the same time I was pretty sad that I'd have to rely on insurance for something like this. So I started to experiment.

I searched for "home remedies" and over the counter products to see which ones had the highest ratings and compared ingredients and cost. I tried a few different products and even made a few concoctions of my own. Through that time, my face steadily got more and more red and I knew that I had to keep trying. Finally, I was about to give up when I tried one last ingredient to see if it would help. And it did! 

And for multiple payments to a private account, you can have the secret, too! Act now and you'll get a free gift that isn't worth the shipping costs to get it to your mailbox! For a limited time you will also get the secrets to making your own facial cleanser and moisturizers!

I'm only kidding. I just couldn't resist the "sales" pitch. There are no free gifts and there are thousands of free recipes for making your own beauty & household products online. Really! Google can be a wonderful search engine.

In all seriousness, I began applying honey & water (a pea-sized drop of honey and a few drops of water mixed in the palm of my hand) to my face each night. I figured that the antibacterial properties might help since some doctors think rosacea is caused by a bacteria. Honey is also a skin soother and several other awesome things. I'd leave it on overnight and rinse it off in the morning. After one week there was a visible difference in the redness. A week later, there was hardly any redness at all. 



Here is a picture taken a week after I started the honey treatment (this was around June 10th, I think). I don't have any facial makeup on and it was a bright day so you can see a little bit of the redness on my cheeks and around my nose.It was also a warm day (and I've discovered that my face flushes more easily than it used to). The dryness also seems to be going away.



Now it's almost two months later and the redness hasn't returned. I've continued the daily honey "treatment" while I've eaten spicy foods, been out in the sun, been under stress, and several other rosacea "triggers" and am still not showing signs of any kind of flare up. Now there is a bottle of honey that will remain in my bathroom just for my face. I will also experiment with mixing it with beneficial oils and such just to see what else I come up with and I'll post about the results every now and then.

Please note: I am well aware that this might not work for everyone and that anyone with an allergy to bees might actually have serious problems with this. But it's worth looking into. Especially if you can't (or choose not to) buy a $70 product every month.




No comments:

Post a Comment