Friday, August 15, 2014

Elements #2

Start facing your problems head on. It isn't your problems that define you, but how you react to them and recover from them. Problems will not disappear unless you take action. Do what you can, when you can, and acknowledge what you've done. It's all about taking baby steps in the right direction, inch by inch. These inches count, they add up to yards and miles in the long run.

Over the years I've learned more about how I react to the problems in my life. There were times when I would ignore a problem, sweeping it under the rug and run away from the situation. Interestingly enough, I've also come to realize that those times of "running away" were necessary. My ex-husband was not going to stop doing drugs unless something drastic occurred. My roommate was not going to treat me or my children any different just because I talked to him about it. And... most recently, my boyfriend (still not sure if that was the right word) wasn't going to stop the activities he was involved in even though I was clear about the toxicity I felt from them. This isn't an attack on any of those people, only pointing out that in these situations, there wasn't room for compromise without destroying one party or another. My action was to move out and move on.

There are other areas where I can see that the fault lies squarely with me. Moving to another state without thinking it completely through caused major repercussions through the last decade and I'm still cleaning up that mess. Granted, there are some areas where I'll not be able to "fix" the damaged parts, but I'm doing my best to bring those out into the light and mend them the best I can.

For now, there are other areas where I can see how easy it is to fall into an old habit and I like to think that I've grown past needing that temporary bandage. I also like to think that I can create better habits with dealing with problems and challenges. I know that I'm far from perfect, and that I have a long road ahead, but I believe in the power of Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment