Saturday, July 05, 2014

Elements #8

Start being more polite to yourself. If you had a friend who spoke to you in the same way that you sometimes speak to yourself, how long would you allow that person to be your friend? The way you treat yourself sets the standard for others. You must love who you are or no one else will.
Interestingly enough, I found that I was repeating things that had been said to me through the years:
- An A- isn't good enough for your grades.
- You should do something different with your hair.
- Your politics aren't based on facts.
- You are too emotional.
- You aren't enough for me.

The list goes on, of course, but until you are able to shut out those comments, you will be haunted by them. And so, you begin to say them to yourself but instead of using "you" the statements are riddled with "I". And that's where the damage really begins. Because you really internalize the thoughts and harshness, they become part of who you are.

Taken at night while walking with Brianna.
Here is something that I've been learning and I'd like you to try it - when you think about some part of your life that isn't quite up to par, ask yourself if that is the truth or just a rehashed version of someone else's truth. Do I really base my politics on what I hear from the media or do I research it myself and find out as many facts as I can? Am I really too emotional or am I actually more in touch with my emotions? Am I really not enough for anyone or just the person who said it?

Evaluate all the voices in your head. Listen to them and banish the ones that are toxic. When you catch yourself demurring or allowing yourself to be diminished, think about why. Ask yourself if your are living Truth or someone's expectations.

Blessed be.

No comments:

Post a Comment