Thursday, July 31, 2014

Elements #6

Start noticing and living in the present. Right now is a miracle. Right now is the only moment guaranteed to you. Right now is life. So stop thinking about how great things will be in the future. Stop dwelling on what did or didn't happen in the past. Lear to be in the "here and now" and experience life as it's happening. Appreciate the world for the beauty that it holds, right now.
I find it interesting that I wrote something along these lines last week. This was before I read the prompt, before Anthony arrived, before I got sick again. I already know that each moment is truly a gift. And today, when I'm finally sitting down with this, I find it even more true.

I'm finding it a little difficult to focus on this post today, though. The replay of pneumonia has knocked me for a loop and the doubled antibiotics (azithromycin and cefuroxime axetil) and the inhaler make me feel as if I'm drunk for a while after each dose. Even so, I will write this out and hope that it all makes sense.

We all have periods during the day when we are doing something we don't want to do. Work, changing diapers, being stuck in traffic, paying the bills. So with the whole "live in the moment", how are we supposed to appreciate those things? I've been thinking about this quite a bit, especially as I think about the fact that this second round of illness puts me at a higher risk of things later. Somehow I need to let go of the worry for that future and just enjoy the present moment. But how?

I think this is something that each person has to decide. What do I do? Well, I'll admit that a lot of times the worry creeps in and lays a shadow over everything else. But I am lucky enough to be one of those people who sees glimpses of awesomeness in the small things. A butterfly flitting past, a great song on the radio, the way the clouds float across the sky. I'm not saying that this is the answer, but it helps. This week I've been mad because I'm sick while Anthony is here. But yesterday I realized that it was a mini-blessing because he has been able to get my prescriptions and bring a lighthearted element to the house. This is my moment to spend with him, even if it means that I'm sleeping in my room and he & Brianna are watching sitcoms in the living room.

Its not easy to keep yourself from looking toward the future, but too much of that will prevent you from seeing the smiles in the present. I'll continue to practice that.

Blessings, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment