Monday, July 21, 2014

Elements #10

Start creating your own happiness. If you are waiting for someone else to make you happy, you're missing out. Smile because you can. Choose happiness. Be the change you want to see in the world. Be happy with who you are now and let your positivity inspire your journey into tomorrow. Happiness is often found when and where you decide to seek it. If you look for happiness within the opportunities you have, you will eventually find it. But if you constantly look for something else, unfortunately, you'll find that, too.
 For a long time I did look for happiness in someone else. Rather, it was the relationship I was looking into. I kept thinking that we'd reach a point where things would smooth out and we'd be happier than before. I looked for ways to make more sales so that we could move forward with living together (making more sales isn't a bad thing at all, but because so much of the future of the relationship seemed to hinge on my success, it became more of a "job" than something I loved to do). It took me a very long time to realize what I was doing and how much of myself I was losing. When I ended the relationship, I actually felt that I was giving up most of my dreams and hopes.

A simple bracelet and an amethyst from Brianna.
Soon, though, I came to realize that I was really happy with the freedom to create without someone else's approval. I found myself singing with a voice rusty from silence. Laughter startled me when it happened. And my smile felt unfamiliar. Even so, with the support of my kids and a few friends (who are seriously the most awesome people in the world), these things became commonplace.

Now, I smile at even small things, sing just about every day, and find laughter a familiar friend. Yes, there are still days that are filled with numbness, but they are coming further apart and with less intensity. And that's another reason to smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment