Tuesday, July 15, 2014

A little mad...

I got my first participation medal in the mail yesterday and shared pictures of it on Facebook. For the most part I got a lot of cheering and such, which was great. It took a lot out of me to accomplish those 3.92 miles and I felt pretty good about it. Recovery sucked (edema & fatigue for 4 days) but I got through it. I was really proud of myself and grateful to Brianna for helping me during that time.

And the medal? It's awesome! Heavy and colorful and, of course, it's a Harry Potter theme (if you're interested, check out the Hogwarts Running Club) which is a huge bonus. It's also a great way to raise money in the fight against cancer (through The Jimmy Fund). I'm already looking forward to the next one.

But then... I got a message from a person I will not name (but they got an earful from me already) about how stupid it was that I (and lots of others) got this medal for a Virtual Run. I was told that it wasn't really a run and that most people who participate in a 5k don't (and shouldn't) get a medal at all. I was more than a little pissed, but I walked away from the computer for a couple hours so that I could calm down. It worked... a little.

Here's the thing: I worked hard for those miles. I have had my body completely shut down on me more than once in the last couple of months (thankfully I make it safely home before it happens). I've been battling with extreme fatigue and heart issues for a while now. And I'm not the only one with a challenge. There are people who struggle each day to get out of bed (depression, illness, pain, and more), much less muster enough energy to walk/run 3 miles. There are people who are recovering from illness or surgeries and find it hard to walk from their door to their mailbox, much less a 5k. If they achieve something like this, wherever they are, then, yes, they deserve a cool looking medal to show to the world that they are taking steps to help themselves.

No, I do not buy special running socks or spend a lot of money on shoes & clothing. No, I won't pay a huge entrance fee to run with a group of people I don't know. And no, I don't go farther than 4 miles on any given day at this point. But that doesn't make what I do any less important than your 13 or 26 miles.And my mere 100-pound bench press will never compare to yours, but it felt good to know that I did it, just the same.

If you sneer at someone who accomplishes something that they are proud of, take a moment and ask yourself if that's really the best way to be. You don't know the other person's story. Just because they look healthy (for the most part) doesn't mean that they aren't struggling with something you can't see (unless you have sonogram vision, you can't see my mitral valve and the "funny" little thing it does with each heartbeat). Just because they don't have the latest gear and the newest water bottle, doesn't mean that the activities they do are worthless. So, before you set your fingers to the keyboard or open your mouth, take a moment and tell yourself to shut up and think. We're all on our own journey and comparing mine to yours is pointless.


To those who are proud of the achievements they have: Rock on! Be proud of what you do! Don't take crap from anyone! You are a fabulous person and no one can take that away from you.

10 comments:

  1. You rock....don't let anyone tell you different....had I known about this maybe I would have participated...motivation it's motivation. Yeah to the marathon person but....triple yeah to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel really good about what I've done so far and I know that I will keep going... ignoring the naysayers. :-)

      Delete
  2. I can't believe someone would do something like that! I was able to participate in a Virual run a few months ago and I'm grateful! I was in another group and saw a run for Autism research. As my son is Autistic, I really wanted to do this, but funding was unavailable to me at that time. Someone sponsored me! I didn't ask, but they did! I didn't expect anything from it, but I got a shirt in the mail. I am so priud to wear that shirt, because not only does it show what I can do when I try, but it shows the kindness of others.

    Holy crap that was longer than I planned... long story short, I'm proud of you for getting that medal, and I know you are too! You do what you can, and push yourself when you are able. You go girl! Rock it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful! You should totally be proud of earning that shirt!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! What a fabulous achievement! Everyone who participates in a 5k DOES and SHOULD receive a medal. I'm one of the slower runners in the 5ks I've done and I got a medal. Anyone who signs up gets a medal, whether they run or not for whatever reason. You ran the whole thing! That's really great!

    I'm totally going to sign up for this. I'll run with you virtually and we'll earn our medals together. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ness! I have to tell you that I didn't run the whole thing, but I did got farther than needed. :-)
      I've been in two other 5ks (one in Sandusky and one in Asheville) and didn't get a medal in either one, so this was new to me, but I love the HRC medals more than any others I've seen.

      I love that we're getting a little group going now! There are several House Cup people on Facebook who are in, too! I should mention this in the Mambas.

      Delete
  4. thank the goddess I have not had that type of experience with Facebook. I would literally want to knock the crap out of somebody. Good for you for not taking it and for not being quiet about it. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all honesty, this person just isn't worth my time. And, more importantly, the time I have on this planet is clearly limited and I refuse to let anyone tarnish my life. :-)

      Delete