Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Elements #24

Start working toward your goals every single day. Remember, the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Whatever it is you dream about, start taking small, logical steps every day to make it happen. Get out there and DO something! The harder you work the luckier you will become. While many of s decide at some point during the course of our lives that we want to answer our calling, only an astute few of us actually work on it. By "working on it" I mean consistently devoting oneself to the end result.

This seems like such a simple concept, and yet... sometimes our dreams and goals seem too enormous to even get started, much less achieve. Where do we start? What should our first step be? What if we're wrong and have to start over again?

Each person, of course, has a different method of doing things. Some people need to write out every aspect of their dreams, each potential step, each possible obstacle. They need to feel in control of every facet and edge. Others just need to feel that their dream is there, amorphous and unstructured, letting things happen as they will.

I am somewhere in the middle of those examples. Yes, I like to have my dreams written down, but I leave so much up to chance. There are no clear steps to take, no checklist to mark. For example, I want to have a small house with some animals. I have that written down in several journals and blog entries so it's not something vague. But I don't have the steps written down. Yes, I know that I'll need to continue becoming debt free, I know that I'll need to make sure my credit score gets back to where it was before I moved, I know that I'll need to set aside money for a down payment. But these are not in any kind of strict order or linear plan. They are just there. Most of the goals that I've had that were micro-planned, fell apart before I even got them partway off the ground. The ones where I knew what I wanted as the end result, but had no idea of how to get from point A to point B? The ones where I sort of hopped from one point to another, skipping some steps, revisiting others? Those goals seemed to grow into what I wanted.

There are small steps I've been taking lately to remind myself of happiness. Little things that I do daily to feel more at peace with my choices. I'll keep doing them and add more in for the bigger goals in my life, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment