Saturday, May 17, 2014

Elements #22

Start noticing the beauty of small moments. Instead of waiting for the big things to happen - marriage, kids, big promotion, winning the lottery - find happiness in the small things that happen every day. Little things like having a quiet cup of coffee in the early morning, or the delicious taste and smell of a homemade meal, or the pleasure of sharing something you enjoy with someone else, or holding hands with your partner. Noticing these small pleasures on a daily basis makes a big difference in the quality of your life.

I think it's interesting that this is the one that came up this week since I had just started 100 Happy Days. You should check it out, too. It's simple, just take a moment (and a picture) in happiness.

Anyway, my first thought about this Element was that I do notice beauty in small moments. That wasn't a defensive thought, but a truthful one. The rain falling outside my window or the sun  streaming in, the flowers in my yard, the clouds in the sky or settling on the mountains, the yarn projects I have or the ones that other people share with me, the conversations with friends or the moments in solitude. All of these and so many more are bright spots in my life.

And yet, I also wait for the big things. I waited for the kids to get older, for a marriage, for the sales to increase enough, for the pay increase, for the season to end, for the weekend to arrive, for the moment when things would change. I have waited for so many different moments throughout my life and it only wasted my time. Time that I really don't have a lot of.

And so, I think about the end. And I think about how precious each moment is. And, I will strive to stop holding my breath for the big moments and will celebrate all the little things.

We are moving today (well, we've been moving in bits for a couple days, but today is the big push to get it finished). I think that even this "big" moment will most likely have lots of little bits of beauty and brightness in them. I hope I recognize them all.


2 comments:

  1. I pull back too when I feel hurt. I didn't know about the heart issue honey. You and I have waiting for things in common. Sometimes it frustrates me like crazy because I think my life is wasting away and I too post the happy, happy stuff to help myself suck it up and deal with it. Lately I haven't even felt like doing that. I hope your new home will be an inspiration for you to treat yourself better. Fill it with the little things that make you smile and feel safe and loved. I'm going to light a candle for you today and send you 'peaceful easy feelings' as you push for your move completion. Lots of love Shayla... ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your words are a blessing to my day. Until this post only my children knew how severe the heart issue was. I'm hoping to avoid surgery for as long as possible.

      It's hard not to think of time wasting away while I struggle to keep things afloat. Even so, I know that I have to try. And keep trying. Hang in there, and things will have to get better.

      Delete