Saturday, April 26, 2014

Elements #28

Start concentrating on the things you can control. You can't change everything, but you can always change something. Wasting your time, talent, and emotional energy on things that are beyond your control is a recipe for frustration, misery, and stagnation. Invest your energy in the things you can control and act on them now.
I've been thinking about this one all week. I know that I worry a lot about things that I have no way of changing and I can see the added stress about it. I believe everyone does something like this and perhaps it is simply the way we are built. I hear people stressing over the weather, the traffic, the price of gas and I catch myself doing the same thing. Me? I stress over other people's reactions to what I do. I stress over whether or not I'll be able to keep up with all the things I tell myself that need to be finished by the end of the day. And the future, of course, I'm always worried about the future.

KeyholeSo what should I do about my part? I could easily say to myself, "Just stop worrying about things," but I know it isn't that simple. Instead, I think it might be better to look at the things I can and do control. Managing my time, crafting, staying in touch with friends who matter, what I eat, how I move... all these things and more are on the list of what I can control. Some of the other things I will concentrate are classes I wish to take, some with Brianna and some on my own. I'll concentrate on the energy I allow in my home and the people I talk with. I'll stop and look around me at the things that bring a smile to my day and I'll enjoy them.

Looking back over this I can see that I've simplified it all. Perhaps it really is simple to make these changes. Perhaps I can truly just choose to focus on what I can change and control. Perhaps it only takes that decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment