Saturday, March 15, 2014

Acknowledging mistakes...

I recently expressed to a friend how I'm striving to deal with hurtful moments and memories that pop up occasionally. I'll share that here:
Asheville, North CarolinaI'm learning to stop for a bit of time when I come across a shard of memory and acknowledge the hurt instead of ignoring it. Because ignoring it drives it in deeper. Imagine walking into a room and you are crossing it to open the window. You step on a piece of glass (memory) and it hurts because it punctures your foot (heart). If you stop and work it out (figuratively and literally), it will hurt while you're getting it out of your foot, and it will hurt the first few hours afterward. But you can heal. If you ignore the glass and keep walking across the room it will become lodged in too deep to remove with just your fingernails or tweezers.
One of those moments occurred last night while I was watching a show with Brianna. It struck me that I made an enormous mistake. I think that hurts more than the fact that I've been hurt. Now I need to just accept that I'm human and pull that shard out before it gets too embedded. That's all I've got to say about that.



No comments:

Post a Comment