Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Meanderings

As I drove down the road today the sun began to peek out from the rainy clouds. In front of me (facing west) I could see the mists rising from the ridges, while behind me I could see the sun's rays setting all the droplets alight. It felt a bit like a magical moment and I was glad to be part of it all. In that sliver of time I felt that all would be right in the world and that the light at the end of the tunnel wasn't an oncoming train.

There is a respite from the bitter cold and I am feeling comfortable in a long-sleeved t-shirt. I still smile at the folks in jackets, but that might change someday. After all, I once wore a coat when the temperature dropped below 55 and still shivered. Nonetheless, I'm happy for this warmth.

I am looking forward to spring and the longer days. This wasn't a very pleasant winter and I don't even mean the weather. Between the emotional drain of life and the physical drain of pneumonia, I will admit that there were days when it was challenging getting through each moment. I had to set aside my hopes of meeting new people and getting out to do new things (coffee groups, hiking groups, etc.), but I can feel those hopes rising again. I am still ridiculously tired by the end of the day, but I know that will shift as I get stronger again.

Now for some mundane things which I find a bit interesting.

We had a mini ice pond in the back for a few days. It was kind of cool to watch the snow melt and run down the driveway (the front is higher than the back). It was also pretty cool to wake and see the icy surface over the grass and gravel. As pretty as the snow was, I'm glad it's melting away. Not that the bare branches are better to look at, but they do have a stark beauty that is nicer than the slushiness that always comes after the snow begins to melt.

Our floors are wood. Not wood laminate, but real wood (that seems to be the norm down here). Since the winter began and we have been running the furnace so much, I started to notice tiny separations in the boards. Not a lot, maybe enough for a thin bit of paper to slip between. Now, however, some of the boards are separated by a size 0 knitting needle (2mm). It's a little odd to walk over them in my wool socks. There are ways to fill in the crevices with wood putty, hemp cord, and several other methods, but I'm just going to try raising the humidity a bit more for the time being.

There are cardinals living around the house and I like to watch them flit around. Sometimes I can hear them chirping to each other and other times I only see the flashes of red as they fly by. There are also bluebirds (I think this is the first time I've seen them, but they might have been in Tennessee, too) who hang out in the trees behind the house as well as a few mourning doves. I know that there are other birds out there, but I'm unsure of their names. When I learn them, they will make their way into my writings, I'm sure.

I hope you all have a wonder-filled day.

No comments:

Post a Comment