Monday, September 16, 2013

Choosing...

(First: I did not stack these stones, but they were there in the small stream and are special.)

Long ago, stones were stacked for a reason. Sometimes as a trail marker, sometimes as a remembrance, and sometimes as a sacred thing. There are probably hundreds of theories and ideas about them, but I will go with what my inner voice tells me.

I got to go on an afternoon hike on Saturday with April & Kam. We went to the Blue Ridge Parkway and parked just before a tunnel and hiked what felt like an endless flight of stairs. By the time we got about a third of the way up I was pretty winded. Being sick and sedentary was a huge contributor to that, but so was the fact that it was a steep climb. Along the way I saw some beautiful mushrooms, flowers, and ferns. It wasn't until we were coming back down that Kam pointed out the stacked stones.

When I think about stones that have been placed so carefully, I wonder at the person who did it. And I wonder at their thoughts as they chose the stones and the location. This time... I thought of myself.

I am not where I thought I'd be at this point, but I think that's normal for most people. As I think about the things that have happened in the last five years, ten years, and fifteen years, I can see that there are great strides forward and a few steps back. I can see that I have stumbled and fallen flat and, most importantly, where I have gotten back up and took another step. There are dreams that I have laid aside and others that have filled me with hope. And now, even though I don't know where my next step is going to be, nor am I sure of how to take it, I do know that I am strong enough to keep going, to keep getting back up, and to keep growing.

And so, I choose to keep moving forward. Through the fear and pain, through the doubts and sorrows. I choose to keep growing, with all the starts and stops and stumbles and falls. I choose to Live the best that I can.

May you all have a blessed day.
Namasté.

No comments:

Post a Comment