Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Safety or silliness?

DoorknobLast night, just as I was falling asleep, I heard what sounded like gunshots. Four of them before I got the 911 dialed, two more while I was on the phone with the dispatcher, one more after I hung up, two more after the police got to this street. My peace of mind was pretty much shattered at this point. I nearly made another phone call to someone just to calm my nerves. This morning I wish I had called him... maybe I'd have slept more soundly.

I want to believe they were just firecrackers and that someone was just out there being dumb. Even though the wind chill was in the lower teens. Yes, that's what I want to believe.

What crossed my mind several times is that there are people out there who want to make it illegal for civilians to own firearms. There is a man in a high governmental position who said to get a shotgun and shoot it into the air to scare the bad guys away (regardless of the fact that someone could get hurt with the falling shot). There are people who will argue that I am safe where I live and that the police will take care of everything. And I wonder what world they are living in.

When someone jumped over my fence last summer the police took seven minutes to get here. When someone was pounding on my front door (even after I shouted out to them that they had the wrong house) a few months ago the police took six minutes to get here. When my car window was shattered a few summers ago the police took more than ten minutes to get here. When they are called for domestic violence, fights in back yards, and even the raised voices of at least five or six people in the street, the police take time to get here. In that time, there is no one here to protect what is mine to protect. I'm not talking about the crap in my house, I'm talking about the life of my daughter. I'm talking about my life. I'm talking about precious things that can not be replaced.

Yes, someone could argue that the shots I heard really were firecrackers this time. They could argue that the person who jumped over the fence was just passing through or that the man pounding on the door meant no harm or that the shattered window was probably an accident. And, it's possible that in the area they live in none of these things ever happen. But here? And where I grew up?

Perhaps things just look different to a person who had a knife in their face at the age of 14. Or who sat in a closet waiting for the police to arrive and prayed that the baby in their arms wouldn't make a sound while a man was breaking into the window. Or who had a gun pointed at them in their own driveway while their 5-year-old tried to be brave enough to protect them and the infant in the stroller.

Until things like that never happen, I honestly don't believe that taking guns away from individuals is the right answer. I've been lucky and blessed. So many others are not.

(Note: you are welcome to leave thought-provoking comments, but if you leave anything hateful, it will be deleted.)

No comments:

Post a Comment