Thursday, August 02, 2012

Sad

StormI was going to let this go, but I'm seeing more and more people (who are supposed to be intelligent) spreading hate and I can't understand it. How is supporting hatred good for our country? For this whole planet? And yet, I see people posting stories about how yesterday's "cause" is how the voting is going to be? One person actually said that it wasn't about religion, it's about the cause. No, it's about not stopping to think that you are in this tirade against other human beings. Does it really affect your life because your neighbor is homosexual? Or heterosexual? Or bisexual? Or any other prefix? Is this the most worthy cause you can throw your money at? Is this the way you want your children and grandchildren to remember you? How about your Creator? Is this how you want them to see you?

I am so glad the people I call friends are more loving than that. In fact, I'm immensely grateful that I've got friends who are of many religions or of no religion who accept that everyone is different.

As angry as this may make some of you, I see yesterday's show of hatred and the resulting comments just as negative as throwing a party because a man, who did atrocious things and whose followers also did those things, was killed last May. I really want to believe that the human race will rise above all of this, but I'm starting to lose hope.

Drop an unkind word, or careless: in a minute it is gone;
But there's half-a-hundred ripples circling on and on and on.
They keep spreading, spreading, spreading from the center as they go,
And there is no way to stop them, once you've started them to flow.

Drop an unkind word, or careless: in a minute you forget;

But there's little waves a-flowing, and there's ripples circling yet,
And perhaps in some sad heart a mighty wave of tears you've stirred,
And disturbed a life was happy ere you dropped that unkind word.


James W Foley (only two stanzas)

4 comments:

  1. Very well said. My heart has just been aching these past 2 days. I am physically sick over it. I've had a headache and my TMJ is acting up from gritting my teeth trying to contain myself against the hate. I know so many wonderful people in the LGBT community, and I just want for them what everyone else takes for granted. It's just not fair, and I can't wrap my mind around how people can be so filled with hate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loved ones (friends included) who are gay, bi, poly, straight, and more, but it's not even about that. It's simply that humans are vilifying other humans for what they are. I learned a lot about judgment over the last decade and I'm still struggling with some of it (yes, I can be very judging). But the biggest lesson that I learned? It is so easy to cause a long-lasting pain by unkind words and by not even trying to hear the other person's point.

      Delete
  2. Well said! I dont think any of us are in a position to judge others. Judge lest ye be judged and no one is perfect. Whatever you do in your own bedroom is none of my business. It is what is in your heart I am interested in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! I know that everyone has the right to say what they believe, it just seems that so many now use that right to be mean. I will be so very happy when they can do that without so much animosity.

      Delete