Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Radio silence...

I heard a story early Monday and decided to make an observance of how fast the story would spread. I kept an eye out on Facebook and Google+. I watched for stirrings of anger and outrage and sorrow. I waited for the indignant protests from all parties and, yes, even the pointing of fingers.

Nothing happened.

Here is a story of the people who lost their lives. These were good people. Their families' lives are now shattered with the shooting in their place of worship on Sunday. Yes, that says Sunday. It's now two days later. Two days and the only thing I've seen on any social networking site was a picture. Just one. This morning.

In my head I'm wondering what the hell is wrong with our media that this story didn't make it huge. Where are the headlines? Where are the left wing liberals shouting for gun control? Where are the right wing conservatives defending the right to bear arms? Where are the atheists with the "I told you so" attitude saying something about religious nuts? Where are the religious nuts shouting about sanctity of houses of worship?

But in my heart I'm wondering how many people read the story and just let it go.

It seems so much more important to shout about Chik-fil-a and to cheer about contraception and to snub someone for being liberal or conservative and to scoff at someone because they believe in a Higher Power and to gossip about celebrities and to brag about the latest gadget they got.

I feel like crying. And hitting something. Instead, I'm going to go wash dishes.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know if this will make feel better but my Facebook feedhad numerous posts by friends about this story. The story it self and the lack of awareness is very sad and disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is all very sad. I hope the families can find some peace in all of this.

      Delete
  2. I didn't see much in my social media feeds either, but we certainly did discuss it for a while when out with friends Sunday night. Senseless death and violence is never okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it's never okay. I can't help wonder how the news is across the border. I've seen more important American news on sites like BBC than some of the news sites here. :-(

      Delete
  3. I didnt see a lot on social media either but it was all over our news. They were even interviewing people here of the same religion. It has been a top story for a few days but I agree with you. It is a sad day when people get so very upset at a shooting at a movie theater and almost no one says boo when it happens at a place of worship on a holy day. Dont get me wrong I am not comparing one tragedy to another merely commenting on our reactions to both horrific acts. I hope the family and friends of those who died find peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel. I know there isn't a comparison for the tragedies, and I'd never try to do that, either, but when there are "support" pictures all over the social sites for one, I guess I expected them to be for the other as well. I do hope they find peace as well.

      Delete