Thursday, November 10, 2011

Day 1 of 15 - Thankfulness





Today's prompt is "An author, artist and musician you are thankful for."

An author: Most of you may already know that I read a lot of fantasy fiction (Kushiel's Legacy, Mists of Avalon, Lord of the Rings, etc), and even these books give me a lot of inspiration in various areas of my life. Luckily, the prompt didn't ask for "most inspirational" because just coming up with one  would be no easy task. 

I choose Dr Jean Shinoda Bolen. When I first read her book, Crossing to Avalon, I was touched by the journey she took and, even though I was nowhere "mid-life", I was at a heartbreaking crossroads. With her writing, I felt inspired to make a trek of my own. Not necessarily in her footsteps, but in a path all my own. There are spiritual places I will be visiting in this country, hopefully in other countries, and inside my own Self.




An artist: I love beauty in so many forms. Painting, photography, sculpture, it's all lovely to me. When I see something beautiful I am filled with a nearly overwhelming feeling that I am so happy to be alive just so I can witness such a lovely gift.

I am choosing Ansel Adams this time around. I don't have all the keywords that art critics use, but his stuff takes my breath away. In so many of his photos I can see... well, Spirit. From the simplicity of a pine-cone to the grandeur of the Grand Canyon, it all holds so much depth and richness and a sense of being in the moment.


A musician: Music is such an important element of my life. I cannot remember a time when I wasn't touched by melodies and lyrics and how they blended together to create outlets for emotions. Even now, one of the first things I do each day is turn music on. Turning it off is one of the last things I do (if I turn it off at all).

Aeone's music has always had the power to lift my spirits, bring calmness to my day, and fill me with a greater sense of Self. I discovered her more than 10 years ago, when some wondrous changes were taking place in my life and I still associate her music with that Life-affirming time.


And now, I'm going to enjoy the beautiful day I am having.

I also want to add that I'm thankful for the generosity of two photographers who share their work and let me share it, too. GhoSStrider and ACWMaiden

No comments:

Post a Comment