Monday, September 26, 2011

An annual gift


According to the calender, the equinox has passed. In reality it is today. Yes, now is the time when the day and the night are equal. The balance is right now. Tomorrow, the  night will begin to tip the scale her direction and we will continue our spiral around.

I love Autumn and always have. In Phoenix it was the time to be outdoors even more, well into the evenings, talking with friends, lighting bonfires in the back yard (not mine since it was way too little), breathing a sigh of relief that you made it through another summer. Up here there is a nip in the air most mornings, the trees are thinking about trying on different colors, and we have Honeycrisp apples.

I have begun looking forward to this time of the year for other reasons as well. One is a very personal reason and it involves a man who accepted me as part of his family even though there were no blood or legal ties. He called my children his grandchildren without hesitation. He laughed at my occasional joke and included me in his conversations. Not once did he act as though I were anything other than an intelligent, beautiful woman. Although I didn't know him for very long, I am truly happy that I knew him at all. So, why do I think of him this time of the year? Because I believe he was watching over me one morning in early October several years ago while I was driving to work. I was upset at being excluded from something important. I was crying while driving. I was driving way too fast on curved roads. Then, as I came around a sharper curve, I saw it. The trees in front of me were on fire with Autumn color and the early morning sun. I slowed down. I stopped my car. I got out and sat on my hood for a little while, listening to everything around me. There were birds, a little wind, the sound of a random car. Mostly there was silence. And in that silence I knew he was telling me that it was going to be alright. That he included me in his thoughts and prayers and love. That I had a lot to live for and there were people who loved me and appreciated me, even when they didn't show it clearly.

Each year since then, around this time, I have come across some unexpected beauty and it takes my breath away. I know that he's a part of that. And I always stop to listen when it happens. Because I know it's for me. And that I am loved.

I hope you all feel loved.

(please click on the picture to see more photos by this talented photographer.)


No comments:

Post a Comment