Monday, July 11, 2011

Patience and parenting


Some days I wish my parenting was finished. Today is one of those days. Don't get me wrong, I love both of my kids and feel truly blessed to have them in my life. I really do feel they are gifts. It's just that when I have to be the ogre and follow through with the rules/punishments I put in place it creates tension and anger. One of those times is coming up and I'm not looking forward to it. I am fairly certain when I reiterate one of the main rules about cleaning the bedroom, as well as the rule about the cell phone, I will be ignored. I recognize that it's just the way for a teen to push the limits and try to stretch the boundaries. I realize it's a normal thing for a person who is becoming an adult to do. Still, it bothers me that I have to play hardball.

I am pretty certain that Brianna will not clean her room in the time I've given her. I'm also pretty certain she will not stick to the hours she was supposed to work for me. And so, I will have to clean out the room myself (by getting rid of most of what's in there) and I'll have to suspend her phone account.

Am I nervous that she will see this? No, I know she doesn't read any of my blogs. And I can only think of two people who might read it and tell her. Of course, if they did, they would be causing more harm than good since Brianna needs to make her own decisions and learn from the consequences. True, she is still young, but she is old enough to know what she's supposed to do. (Yes, I realize one of those people might tell her just to spite me and the other would tell her "to help her out", but they would be wrong in doing so.)

And so, I sit here tonight in peace and quiet, knowing that the storm is on its way.

2 comments:

  1. *Hugs!* I'm not a parent, but I am a kid. And things like this are good for us. On Sunday, my mom came back to the tent at like 2:00 and I had not done any more cleaning. She bit her tongue, and then was very pleased when she came back at 4:30 and everything that I could do was done. Of course, this is probably the first time in 14 years years that I've cleaned that much of the tent by myself on the last day of a reenactment o.O (Also the first time in 14 years that my brother and I were the only ones in camp all weekend :-O)

    I guess what I'm really saying is that we do learn eventually *more hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you know how much your words mean to me. I know that in the long run things will be okay and that this is what I must do. The anger will pass and so will the hurt feelings. It's just the going through them that gets me sometimes. :-)

    ReplyDelete