Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lessons

 

There are times when we need to rest more than anything else. It doesn't matter that you have to buy shoes for summer, or pick up groceries. The dust webs in the corners are not in dire need of being removed. The pile of junk in the corner isn't going anywhere.

For the past week, I've been learning to rest. I've been taking naps and avoiding the phone. I've listened to books and avoided the vacuum cleaner. I have washed dishes, but I've avoided the laundry. Because I'm learning that a healing body needs someone to let it do its thing. You see, a body is a wondrous thing; it will heal itself if given the chance. When you listen to the messages it sends out to you... you know the ones that say, "Take a nap even though it's early in the morning," or "All you really feel like eating is a bowl of fruit so don't push the oatmeal." When you listen, your body can do its job.

I'm just about over this crazy thing that hit me. The coughing is nearly gone, the fever has faded, and my voice is almost back to normal. And the best part? My brain feels like it's waking up. Yes, my brain was somewhat mushy while I was sick. Any knitting, cooking, or other activities were strictly on the easiest level possible. (Actually, Brianna did most of the cooking.)

Why am I sharing this with you all? To let you know that there is nothing wrong with asking someone else to help you with the house or driving to the grocery store.  There is nothing wrong with taking a nap as soon as the kids have left the house for school. Listen to your body and let it heal itself. You'll feel better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment