Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Peaceful feeling

Sometimes the most peaceful thing I can think of is a sleeping cat. When I see them laying there, oblivious to the world around them, I'm reminded of how I should be sometimes. Unconcerned of what others think or do.
Aurora

Recently I was told by more than one person that the picture Brianna is using on Facebook is disturbing. I added the same paragraph to each response to those people and will include it here as well:
Brianna's picture was in support of people who can not speak for themselves. Movies and books such as "Speak" and "The Stoning of Soraya M." showcase girls/women who can not speak for themselves in the society they live in. All too often young girls and even much older women fear the consequences of standing up for themselves and speaking out against domestic violence and other assaults. The knife (actually a box cutter) represents the ability to remove the shackles of society and let your voice be heard. Sadly, too many people would look at that picture and wonder if she is mentally unstable or something... all the more reason we should rebuild our society to allow women to stop fearing punishment for defending themselves.

 I can understand why some people might wonder about this picture, but the ones who know Brianna, the ones who say that they care for her and love her, they should know what kind of a person she is and what kind of values she has. I think they should have looked at this picture and asked themselves, "What message is she trying to convey?"

And this is one more reason I feel a need to encourage my daughter even more for standing up for what she believes in.

1 comment:

  1. I'm guessing the box cutter disturbs folks more than anything. Having been used as weapons by the 9/11 hijackers, they have become an emotionally charged item.

    To me, this makes them perfect for use in art. Art is supposed to touch your raw spots.

    As I told B herself, I think it's a good photo. And I think it's great that you are behind her on this!

    ReplyDelete